L12 0913 EditorTemplate
Wikipedia needs your help.
- Google might have 1,000,000 servers. Yahoo has something like 13,000 staff. We have 679 servers and 131 staff.
- We’re the fifth most visited website in the world, providing free knowledge to half a billion people every month.
- Volunteers create Wikipedia, but we have the same costs of any big website: servers, connection, power, rent, and technical staff.
- We’re funded by our readers, not by ads or corporate sponsors.
- Wikipedia is offered in 284 languages, with more than 15 million total articles.
Help Wikipedia remain a free service. Please Donate.
If everyone gave $5, we'd only have to fundraise one day a year.
A personal appeal from a Wikipedia editor
Ravan is a 26-year-old telecom engineer. Originally from Iraq, she now lives in Oman. Since she began editing in 2008, Ravan has created more than 700 new articles.
Today, there is a gap between the developing world and the developed world. It's not about money, and it's not about power. It's about knowledge.
If you follow the news, you know about the Arab Spring. For young people like me and my friends, it was the beginning of a new era. As momentous events happened, we were obsessed with the news, following up second by second. We were checking our phones, Facebook, Twitter.
And I was writing on Wikipedia. I love Wikipedia because it's impartial; it's the best source for up-to-date information from a neutral point of view. I looked at CNN, Al Jazeera, and the BBC, searching for the most reliable sources. Then I added updates in real time.
It's incredible. For the first time in history, everyone could know what was happening, as it happened. We could share the truth with people across the world.
A verse in the Quran says: God does not change the condition of the people until they change it themselves. This is my inspiration; this is why I keep working, day by day.
We want a world that is more open, more educated, and more free. We want a world where knowledge is available to anyone that seeks it.
It's time for us to change our world. Will you help?